COUNTIFS will count the number of cells that meet a single criterion or multiple criteria in the same or different ranges.

Let’s first get a grip on using COUNTIF and COUNTIFS functions in Excel.. Excel COUNTIF Function (takes Single Criteria) Excel COUNTIF function is best suited for situations when you want to count cells based on a single criterion. When doing financial analysis, we can prepare a table showing the date, count of each task, and their priority Alternatively, you can press F5 to run the code in VBA screen. CountIf (and CountIfs) works directly with range objects and compares every cell of a range object with the condition the object must satisfy: Compare(Range Objects, Conditions) --> Update(Count) --> Scalar Result Obviously, a formula with CountIf(s) will be faster than an equivalent formula with SumProduct (or an array formula). The thing is, Normally, when we COUNTIF we can just count cells by specifying a single condition and with COUNIFS we can specify more than one condition but it uses AND logic to count values. criteria1 The criteria used to determine which cells to count. COUNTIFS will count the number of cells that meet a single criterion or multiple criteria in the same or different ranges. A VBA implementation of the same hash algorithm takes about than 2.4 sec to build and count the entire concordance on my computer.

range2, ... range_n Optional. Excel Formula Training.

COUNTIF and COUNTIFS function in Excel 2010 Counting cells that match certain criteria is done using COUNTIF and COUNTIFS functions. In this accelerated training, you'll learn how to use formulas to manipulate text, work with dates and times, lookup values with VLOOKUP and INDEX & MATCH, count and sum with criteria, … Unfortunately, these formulas do not work, when you want to refer to a closed workbook. The first one is for a single range (example =COUNTIF(B2:B7,200) ), where cells B2 to B7 will be searched for value equal to 200. In this post I would like to clear up what appears to me to be a rather widespread misunderstanding of how COUNTIFS/SUMIFS operate, in particular when we pass arrays consisting of more than one element as the Criteria to one or even two of the Criteria_Ranges.. Under Macro window, select “Countif” module and click Run. criteria1 is applied against range1. The actual syntax for the two is shown for comparison below: ‘=COUNTIF(range, criteria)’ (Compare that to more than 25 min that I estimate for an improved implementation of Rick's algorithm.)

Formulas are the key to getting things done in Excel. COUNTIF() was then made obsolete but was kept for backward compatibility with older spreadsheets.

In comparison, the PT operation that Ron implemented takes about 2.6 sec on my computer.

The syntax for the COUNTIFS function in Microsoft Excel is: COUNTIFS( range1, criteria1, [range2, criteria2, ... range_n, criteria_n] ) Parameters or Arguments range1 The range of cells that you want to apply criteria1 against. It is able to do anything those 4 formulas (Sumif, Sumifs, Countif, Countifs) can do. The ‘COUNTIFS’ function is built on the same idea as the ‘COUNTIF’ function.